Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love.

In the spirit of Valentines Day, I thought I should post something about what I love.

now give me these chocolate lungs




I love the body. the science of how we live and breathe and think and speak and blink and smell, and focus, and taste and how we try to keep ourselves at an equilibrium. We get cold chills to heat our body, and get back to the normal temperature. It's literally Le Chateliers principle, in ourselves. Just in a model that you can see without having to boil, and mix questionable chemicals in a laboratory. [sidebar: whenever I say/type laboratory I think of Dexter, from Dexter's Lab, saying, "DeeeeeeDeeeee, get out of my LabORatory!!!" anyone else? no? ok] I think it's amazing, that our lungs know what they were meant to do, that we can convert O2 into CO2 inside a microscopic amount of space in the lower branches of our bronchi. I love that when we breathe, we are pushing our diaphragm down, creating empty space, which then by the laws of gravity creates a vacuum, which therefor sucks the air into our lungs.








and I especially love the heart. The heart has always been my thing. Maybe because of my fascination with love... who knows.. I think it is the most unique organ of all. the heart is what keeps you living. It pumps atrium to ventricle, over and over and over again. it never does anything else. It beats for no one but you.

 Then theres the brain. Oh my goodness, the brain. how is even possible that we have at least 100 BILLION Neurons in our heads? and with every two of those is a Synapse. those create the signals fired, telling our little messenger cells to tell our big toe that it hurts because we just jammed it on the corner of the kitchen counter. In literally a milisecond, a message goes from our head to our toe. [If that doesn't shock you, this might..] The synaptic gap, the gap between one neuron and the next, is about 35 Hydrogen atoms. does anyone have a fraction of a clue of how small that is? It's amazing. we are amazing.  We are walking phenomenons. We are the paragon of miracles.

 




You can call me weird or call me nerdy or call me that strange girl who is obsessed with hearts and chemistry and anatomy, but it what I love. it's my passion. I crave more knowledge about it. I sit at home and read about the heart, and new discoveries in medical and chemical research. it all fascinates me to no extent. and I am proud that I love what I love.


Now, Que the alone-on-Valentines-Day-bit-of-advice,  if your physical heart doesn't rely on someone else to keep you alive [except during times in which Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation {CPR} is needed, obvi] than neither does your fictional, intangible heart. So why can't everyone stop complaining about being alone on Valentines Day, and celebrate the things and the ones we love, as a whole? it's not required to have a babe, in order to enjoy the day. Go tell someone you love them. I promise, it will make you happier than you would expect.  

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

xx danielle

2 comments:

  1. you are such a NERD. I love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know girl, I know. it's the only nickname I constantly am given

      Delete